Friday, March 23, 2012

THE SCOTT BEDFORD FOUR - YOU TURNED YOUR BACK ON ME

YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

One of the burning questions in my life is, "why was this NOT a hit??". Guess I need to get more of a life....

First time I heard this record, I was BLOWN AWAY. It was so commercial, yet so TOUGH. KILLER guitar lick, WAILING harmonica, even the acoustic guitar in the middle section sounds like it could kick your ass - why was this NOT a hit??

I don't know anything about the Scott Bedford Four. I'm not even sure there WAS a Scott Bedford - the more research I do, the murkier the facts become. I first heard they were from Connecticut, then Northampton, Pennsylvania. Now the conventional wisdom points to Allentown, PA as their hometown. As for the members, I have seen a listing - John Kave, John Deproperzio, Bill Barlip (who plays the killer guitar riff on this record) and....Lou Resh. But NO Scott Bedford!

Here's what I do know....sometime in 1964 the group hooked up with independent producer Pierre Maheu (who was married to Jiggs Allbut of The Angels) and recorded their first single for Joy Records, called "Last Exit To Brooklyn" (NOT the same song as Gene Pitney's "Last Chance To Turn Around"). The single rose as high as #129 nationally in May, 1965, their only 45 to chart.

Unfortunately, Joy Records went out of business shortly afterward (which was probably what stopped "Last Exit" from charting higher) but Pierre had other connections; his wife's group, The Angels, had recently parted (amicably) with their lead singer, Peggy Santiglia, and were now doing business with new lead singer Toni Mason as The Halos for Congress Records. Pierre got the Scott Bedford Four signed to the label, and they began recording a new single - "You Turned Your Back On Me" - written by Pierre with producer Tommy Kaye and someone named "Gamble" (Kenny?). Pierre hooked up with legendary producer, arranger and label owner Leroy Glover, who worked his particular magic to make this a killer garage classic - but with an eye on the Top 40. Again, why was this NOT a hit??

The record was released in August, 1965. WMCA in New York gave it a couple of spins, but it failed to excite any interest at all. I don't understand it. Only thing I can figure is that Congress Records botched the job. There were a few other records released on Congress at about the same time - like the Halos' "Do I?" and The 7th Avenue Aviators' "You Should O' Held On" - that were ultra-commercial, ultra-great, yet failed to crack the market. These records now go for big money because they're so great (but obscure) and EVERYBODY wants them.

The group went on to make one more single for Congress (a remake of The Drifters' "Sweets For My Sweet" backed with "How Does It Feel?" - which was a complete rip-off of Bobby Jameson's "I'm Lonely" - that is also loved by garage collectors) before breaking up, discouraged. Which is a shame, because these guys, for one single at least, could have knocked the whole world flat on its ass.

WHY WAS THIS NOT A HIT???

The Scott Bedford Four - You Turned Your Back On Me (Congress 247) - 1965

10 comments:

  1. i just heard that song on wfmt. - "You Turned Your Back On Me" killer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is WFMT?? Sounds like a VERY cool station!

      Delete
  2. just a guess as to why this wasn't a hit--Brit bands were dominating the scene at the time--some excellent, some mediocre, some awful--but as long as they were British they made $ for all the music biz types(labels, producers,manager, etc)..I'm guessing that an unknown group of homegrown talent didnt stand much of a chance..and yes, this SHOULD HAVE BEEN A HIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI I am John Diproperzio drummer for the Scott Bedford Four. We did not make it do to the record companies controlling the market. I know they made the money but we went on to do live performances and had a huge following.Locally we made oor mark and a great ride. Lou,who was Scott;Bill and Dick have pastep away but I am still playing with a 17 piece dance band. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John for what it's worth, your single as the Elusives, which I just found, has been played steadily for the past three months. A much better version than the Kit Kats in my book. And /i like how how the drums kick it off on your. God Bless!!

      Delete
    2. Hello John. I was speaking with one of the seamstresses for your band yesterday and she was reminiscing about the costumes she made for your band. The costumes were all different colored one piece, flare legged or bell bottom jumpsuits. They were opened down the chest and then closed. She loved your band and wishes she had photos of you. I looked online to see if there were any photos but I cannot find any. I would love to gift her with some of these photos, if you have any. I would also like to know if you still play locally with your new dance band. I would love to take her to see it!!

      Delete
  4. Lou Resh was my grandfather! His voice was so beautiful and he taught me how to play guitar. I miss him everyday and it's so awesome to see his voice is still reaching people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be awesome if you could post some pics of the band. I know a seamstress who created a few costumes for the band and she would love to see photos of them in the costumes. She regrets not taking pictures at the time and she loved the band.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am trying to locate any relative of Bill Barlip-When I lived in Allentown PA, I found a love letter that was written to him! It looks like it was a classmate…..There is a photo of a girl and she said her name is Marie Hill. My home was 229 Virginia Ave in Whitehall PA. I now live in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for relatives of Bill Barlip

    ReplyDelete